Phone: 717-603-9184  Text: 717-304-1841   Email:

When clients of mine are facing foreclosure because of arrears they cannot catch up on, they often feel as though they have no options other than Bankruptcy.  However, there are several options, available through the Pennsylvania Housing Financing Agency (  I have outlined them below and provided links to the various programs.

  1. Refinance to an Affordable Loan Plan (REAL):  This program may allow you to refinance your current mortgage and get out of a bad mortgage instrument, such as an adjustable rate mortgage, or a high interest rate loan.
  2. Homeowners Emergency Mortgage Assistance Fund. (HEMAP): This program administers the HEMAP fund, where homeowners can apply for a loan to help them catch up on arrears.
  3. Homeowners Equity Recovery Loan Program (HERO): This is another program designed to help homeowners refinance their existing mortgages into a mortgage that is more affordable

These programs each have different criteria, and therefore, you may qualify for all three or none at all. You should contact the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency to learn more about these programs.  However, if you do not qualify for these programs, you should speak with a bankruptcy attorney regarding your options.  A Chapter 13 will allow you to catch up on your past due balance over the course of 5 years, but you will need to make your regular mortgage payment during that time as well.  In addition, the Middle District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Court, which includes Adams, York, & Dauphin Counties, has a voluntary loan modification program for people in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.  You should speak with me about how this program might help you save your home.